Saturday, June 27, 2009

About “Primal Scream”

This is a comment about the story "Primal Scream". If you haven't read it, please drop down below and do that first, then return here.

Dear Friend,

There are times in all of our lives when we are so overwhelmed and so weighed down by our life that it feels like we can't keep it inside without exploding into a million pieces. That's where I was with "Primal Scream". I decided that I had to vent to stay sane. So I stood out on a little hill in the middle of nowhere and tried to push everything out of me before I cracked. It's a wonderful thing to do if you can. Sure beats beating your fist against a wall (and having to repair the wall afterwards) or driving like a lunatic. And it doesn't come with a hangover. Massive emotion brings massive pressure inside of you. Find a safe way to let it out, please.

When I work with children in grief, I let them have time in a room with padded walls and floor, with a big punching bag and lots and lots of foam balls and blocks that they can throw or stack and dive into. The volume in that room would frighten any adult, believe me. Kids know how to let loose and express their emotions. They know how to scream out the things we feel but are too grown up, too well trained by society to ever say out loud, the things that are screaming inside of us that we are afraid to let out.

I hate you for leaving me.

Why did you go?

You left me behind with all of this mess to clean up. How dare you!

I don't want to be alone.

Where did you go?

I need you.

Don't you love me enough to stay with me?

What did I do wrong?

How will I survive without you?

Find a safe way to scream it out, punch it out, run it out before you explode. Find a safety valve to let some of the pressure out before you crack, or before you hurt yourself or others. Try a Primal Scream.

No comments: